Questions to Ask a Roofing Contractor
For nearly 20 years, USA Roofing & Gutters has helped property owners in Central and North Alabama with their roofing and gutter needs. Throughout the years, we have seen too many homeowners taken advantage of by roofing companies performing bad practices. From storm chasing companies who aren’t local, companies who cut corners to limit costs, companies who don’t have insurance, or companies who haven’t been around for a minimum of 5 years, these are the types of roofing companies we, along with the experts, recommend staying away from.
According to the Better Business Bureau, the business category with the most filed complaints is the roofing industry. More so, the BBB reports over 80% of complaints were with the roofing companies that provided the cheapest estimate to replace their roof. This shows businesses who cut corners to save on costs are a risky choice for your roofing investment. Lastly, the research shows that 98% of roofing companies go out of business within 3-5 years. In addition, 90% of roofing companies go out of business within the first 2 years. These statistics display that typically roofing companies who haven’t been around for at least 5 years may also be risky to do business with, as they may be out of business shortly after working on your roof.
Before choosing any roofing contractors in Alabama, we strongly advise all property owners to do their research and consider these 25 questions to ask any roofer before they are hired. Like we’ve stated, we hear too often homeowners being taken advantage of by non-reputable roofing companies. Because of this concern, we have put together this list of questions to ask a roofing contractor before doing business with them. If you would like to download this printable version of this questions checklist, click here.
Questions to Ask Your Roofer
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured? If so, may I have a copy?
- What is your legal business name and address?
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you an accredited business with the BBB? If so, may I have a link to your BBB profile?
- Is your business local?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- Do you offer any financing?
- Why do you think my roof needs to be replaced or repaired?
- Will you assist me if I need to file an insurance claim? If so, may I have a list of insurance companies you have worked with in the past?
- Do you provide a written estimate that details the work to be performed?
- Will you provide me with pictures as to what is damaged on my roof and what needs to be fixed? If so, how will I receive these images?
- What shingle manufacturers do you use and are you certified with them? If so, can you show me your certifications?
- Do you use drip edge flashing?
- Will you use ladder stabilizers or standoffs to protect my gutters when working on my roof?
- What does your workmanship warranty cover and for how long? Will you provide me a copy of that?
- Is any type of permit required for my project? If so, will you be pulling one?
- When would you be able to schedule my job?
- How long will my job take to complete?
- Who will be, if anyone, on site during the roof project? If so, may I have their name and number?
- How quickly can you react and what would you do in the event of inclement weather?
- What steps do you take to ensure the safety of my property, family, and your workers?
- What time will the crew arrive and what time do they leave if the job takes more than one day?
- When will the materials needed for the job be delivered?
- Does your company use dumpsters or dump trucks?
- Are you responsible for any clean-up or damages that may occur while the work is being done?