Questions to Ask a Roofing Contractor
For 20 years, USA Roofing & Gutters, LLC has helped homeowners and business owners in Central and North Alabama with their roofing and gutter needs. Throughout the years, we have seen too many homeowners taken advantage of by roofing companies. Some of the common problems homeowners experience are storm chasing companies who aren’t local, companies who cut corners to limit costs, companies who don’t have insurance, or companies who haven’t been around for a minimum of 5 years. These are the types of roofing companies we, along with the experts, recommend staying away from.
According to the Better Business Bureau, the business category with the most filed complaints is the roofing industry. More so, the BBB reports over 80% of complaints were with the roofing companies that provided the cheapest estimate to replace their roof. This shows businesses who cut corners to save on costs are a risky choice for your roofing investment. Lastly, the research shows that 98% of roofing companies go out of business within 3-5 years. In addition, 90% of roofing companies go out of business within the first 2 years. These statistics display that typically roofing companies who haven’t been around for at least 5 years may also be risky to do business with, as they may be out of business shortly after working on your roof.
Before choosing any roofing contractors in Alabama, we strongly advise all property owners to do their research and consider these 25 questions to ask any roofer before they are hired. Like we’ve stated, we hear too often homeowners being taken advantage of by non-reputable roofing companies. Because of this concern, we have put together this list of questions to ask a roofing contractor before doing business with them. If you would like to download the printable version of this questions checklist, click here.
Questions to Ask Your Roofer
- Are you licensed, bonded, and insured? If so, can you verify the current status?
- What is your legal business name and address?
- How long have you been in business?
- Are you an accredited business with the BBB? If so, what is your company’s rating?
- Is your business local?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- Do you offer any financing?
- Why do you think my roof needs to be replaced or repaired?
- Do I have any storm damage that would substantiate filing an insurance claim? If so, will you provide me pictures of the damage? Do you have experience working with insurance companies? Will you assist me throughout the entire claim process?
- Do you provide a written estimate that details the work to be performed?
- Will you provide me with pictures as to what is damaged on my roof and what needs to be repaired? If so, how will I receive these images?
- What shingle manufacturers do you use and are you certified with them? If so, can you show me your certifications?
- Do you install drip edge flashing?
- Will you use ladder stabilizers or standoffs to protect my gutters when working on my roof?
- What does your workmanship warranty cover and for how long? Will you provide me a copy of that?
- Do you have a State of Alabama Homebuilders Roofing License?
- When would you be able to schedule my job?
- How long will my job take to complete?
- Will you have a project manager on site during the roof project?
- How quickly can you react and what would you do in the event of inclement weather?
- What steps do you take to ensure the safety of my property, family, and your workers?
- What time will the crew arrive and what time do they leave if the job takes more than one day?
- When will the materials needed for the job be delivered? Where will the materials be placed?
- Does your company use dumpsters, dump trailers, or dump trucks?
- Does your company use magnets to collect nails during the clean-up process?
We suggest all property owners to strongly consider the above questions to ask roofing companies before allowing them to work on their roof. It is also very important to verify that the roofing company is properly licensed and fully insured with General Liability and Workers’ Compensation to ensure you are protected. If any homeowner or commercial property owner feels unsure or uneasy to any of the answers the roofer gives, we advise them to not hire that roofing contractor and keep researching for a better fit they are more comfortable with. Contact USA Roofing & Gutters LLC, for more information or to schedule a FREE roof estimate today.